Salted Date Caramel Brownies
(Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free)
First make the date caramel:
180g soft pitted dates
1 Tbsp Coconut oil
½ Tsp Sea salt
2 Tbsp of Boiling water
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend to a smooth paste. Set aside and make the brownies.
200g dark chocolate (parev)
50g coconut oil (aroma free)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp coffee (make a small cup of instant coffee and syphon off a tbsp)
150g ground almonds
25g crushed pecans (optional- I like the texture they bring to the brownie)
3 small eggs or 2 large
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Once smooth and melted remove from the heat.
2. Let it cool slightly. Add the ground almonds, eggs, vanilla, coffee, pecans and maple syrup. The mixture will be quite stiff, give it a good stir until well combined.
3. Spoon half of the mixture into the bottom of your baking tray and create a smooth layer. Using a teaspoon dot the date caramel over the brownie mix and very roughly smooth it down. Spoon the rest of the brownie mixture on top and smooth over with the back of a spoon.
4. Cook in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Let it cool then turn out onto a board and cut into squares.
6. Serve with an layer of date caramel spread on top, topped with frozen raspberries or drizzle almond butter.
I recommend using the aroma free coconut oil. This is just because I’m not so keen on the flavour however if you like coconut then use the flavoured variety.
Double the quantities of the caramel and keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. Spread it on matzo or swirl it into yogurt. Its delicious.
You can also totally omit the date caramel altogether.
Make the recipe your own by adding a handful of dried or fresh berries or even some marshmallows.
Follow Jenny on Instagram @saladforsupper or go to www.saladforsupper.com for quick, easy, simple recipes! Jenny is passionate about creating healthy food that is delicious, innovative and inspiring, and can be realistically recreated at home.